Sunday, December 11, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things - Dec 2011 Edition

In the name of the Holiday and the spirit of Christmas, I thought I'd compile a few of my favorite things. 
Happy Holiday!
10. Skaneateles, New York: About 13 years ago, my mom and I began one of my favorite traditions. We would venture to the pretentiously historic village of Skaneateles in Central New York in celebration of our birthdays. It is, of course, always early November, but we are usually lucky to experience the first snowflakes of the year while on our adventure. Mom and I always begin our Christmas shopping this day. We meander around the main street that parallel Skaneateles Lake. We mosey through shops with our cups of coffee and our Holiday spirit, calling to one another, usually in bursts of loud laughter, when we find the perfect gift for someone. We eat lunch at the same place, and we visit the same store. Although we were not able to uphold our November tradition this year, it is certainly only on pause until Nick and I live closer to home again. At least close enough to throw Rosalie in the car and head to Cortland for the weekend :)





9. The entire idea of sleigh riding. Perhaps this is because I'm in the midst of Little Women. Perhaps it's just because I miss the snowy blowy northeast winters. Regardless, the idea of sleigh riding reminds me of trekking to Grandma and Grandpa's house for Christmas. Over the river and through the woods...






8. Trident Booksellers and Cafe, Boston, MA: If Nick and I could miss the concept of this store anymore. Trident is a Newbury Street treasure <3 It is a flawless merge of a coffee shop and a bookstore. A beautiful marriage, if I may attest to its brilliants. Chilly Newbury shoppers can seek refuge from the brisk Boston winds inside Trident where they can peruse the bookstore in its quaint aisles and disheveled bookshelves in search of the perfect novel or magazine. Then, they find an empty seat in the cafe and can order hot tea, wine, breakfast, hummus and pita, a bowl of soup or a crisp salad while they sit and read their find. JAKE AND MINDY!! This is still one of our favorite Boston spots. Thank you for bringing us here!Dear owners of Trident, could you please set up shop out here in Kapolei?






7. Coffee Mania! This unique little dive in Cortland, New York is one piece of my little hometown that tops my favorites list! It's a stationary trailer that allows cars to pull up along either side of the trailer and order hot coffee, scones, tea and iced drinks to go. Sub favorites list? Hot Lavender tea, iced almond joy coffee + skim milk + raw sugar, Cooper + skim milk + slenda.




6. Peppermint Hot Chocolate: This is an extension of Coffee Mania. Coffee Mania has many of my favorite things, to include peppermint hot chocolate, but this Holiday drink is unlike no other. And unlike Coffee Mania, it DOES exist in Hawaii :)






5. Route 13 through Cortland and Dryden, NY. I know it's typically an accident-ridden road during the wintery months, but I have fond memories of white-knuckled driving on that road! 






4. A Wintery ride through Central New York <3 


      




3. Panera Bread's broccoli cheddar soup bowl. Baguette or apple? Um. Baguette please! Panera does not exist in Hawaii. Please, if you are reading this and are near a Panera, please please go enjoy a broccoli cheddar soup bowl for me!!






2. The Bluewater Grill in Skaneateles, NY!  My mama and I always eat here when we shop in Skaneateles. We always sit in the back room (pictured here) where there is a cozy wood stove warming you up while you eat. We typically snack on baguettes topped with brie cheese and apples, drizzled in raspberry sauce. 















1. My wonderful husband and our puppy girl Rosalie <3 My #1 favorite thing <3 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I miss you dearly, hope you're enjoying your fun in the sun! I am looking for a nice wintery adventure to do sometime in January...would you happen to have a recommendation? I don't ski and rarely leave my house in the winter (except to go to a coffee house or bookstore haha) but I'm looking for some adventure after the holidays. Thoughts??
    Keep writing xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I love your blog Mia! Glad all is well with you. Haven't really talked to you since were were kids or briefly in high school. But I always liked you :) Best wishes in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete