Tuesday, February 14, 2012

on Valentine's Day

I awoke early this morning for no particular reason. I was glad to be awake when Nick left the house so I could kiss him goodbye. Not because it's Valentine's Day. Just because I love him, and I wanted to send him off on another Tuesday with a teaspoon of love wrapped in a morning kiss.


Before prying myself from my cozy bed blankets, I skimmed the New York Times headlines and then (my usual morning ritual) trolled through the newsfeed on Facebook. My android facebook app was cluttered with posts about Valentine's Day, and I notice that the posts went one of two ways: a positive facebook message about loving one's significant other


 or a pathos facebook status update, usually something about "singles awareness day". 
Why does Valentine's Day have to be so either-or? So black and white? I thought about my dear friends who didn't wake up to kiss anybody good morning or good day because they don't have anyone or their lovers aren't able to wake up there next to them. Why is it that Valentine's Day is a day that only illuminates the intimate feelings we have with lovers? Or the lack there of?


My cousin, Christina, blogs for a website that is pro-female empowerment, and the other day, this website (LivLuna) posted an article with a spin on the Americanized lover version of the V-Day. This article, written by Roxanne Werner, suggests that we celebrate all that love is on Valentine's Day. Love each other - your friends, your family, and of course your lover. Do something you love. Treat yourself to an activity that you love doing. Support something you love. 


I *love* this concept. Brilliant kudos to Werner for this idea. I was unmotivated by Valentine's day. Disheartened, even, by the over commercialization of a feeling that should be pure and simple.  But this refreshing spin gives me new motivation and a new way of celebrating the middle of February.


So run, swim, curl up with a book and stay in your pajamas and don't feel guilty about it, have a piece of chocolate or a cupcake. Nap. Laugh. Have some wine. Kiss your man, your girl, your mom or your brother. Tell your dad how much you love him. Treat yourself anything in the world fills you with love. Share a loving snuggle with your pet. Celebrate the life of someone you love. Celebrate life. Watch that movie you love or treat yourself to a good, guiltless dive into a magazine you love. Burst with love for yourself and for humanity when bustling through your February 14th's work and errands and chores. I sure as hell will :)


Happy Valentine's Day, fellow bloggers. May you embrace all that is love today and all of your tomorrows.











3 comments:

  1. I love you Mia! I know I'm a day late but thought I'd take this time to tell you how much I love and miss you. This post was very inspirational, thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts :)Also, thanks for sharing LivLuna, definitely adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fucking AH-MAZING. Articulated perfectly, and as a recently single (and ready to mingle ;)young female, this is EXACTLY how I feel. I had the best Valentines day in 23 years and I was with three girlfriends, gossiping,drinking wine, and indulging in being young and free. Thanks for positing this Mi:) So blessed to have such an incredibly articulate, beautiful, smart, hilarious,and quality friend/soulsista in my life :)Your blog is the pre-game to my coffee each morning:)

    ReplyDelete