Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Double Dose Tuesdays

We can all agree that the week looks ominous when we toe-up to the line on Sunday nights. Five full days of the slog. For me, I am exerting self-propelled stamina until about Wednesday evenings; then, I can ride the momentum of the week until Friday mornings when, even though I still have to make it through Friday, I am invigorated by the infectious energy that is the weekend:
 Lazy mornings with my wonderful husband and our puppy girl Rosalie. Beaches and late nights and whatever else we select from our Mary Poppins bag of Hawaiian jaunts. 


Ah, you see, but it is merely Tuesday. The middle of the beginning. The dead center of the part of the week that forces me to apply copious amounts of will-power to make it toward Wednesday evening. So, in the last few weeks, I've discovered a new Tuesday evening schedule that acts like an accelerator. It provide enough force to plunge me into the ride of the momentum toward Friday. 


On Tuesday, I venture into town to the Kapolei Yoga and Dance Studio where I take two classes: R.I.P.P.E.D. from 5-6 p.m. and Zumba from 6-7 p.m. Both taught by the same girl, R.I.P.P.E.D. and Zumba are two of the most galvanizing classes I've ever taken in my entire life. R.I.P.P.E.D. is focused on strength training, plyometrics, power, and intervals training. The instructor changes the routine (and music!) every two or three classes, which implements muscle confusion and therefore better results.  And then there's Zumba. Now, I've taken a few Zumba classes back in Cortland. In all honest, I wasn't impressed with Zumba in Cortland. The dispirited instructor never changed her routine, nor did she teach any routines that wavered beyond dull. At KY&DS, however, the instructor (same girl who teaches the R.I.P.P.E.D class) seems to be straight of the infomercials for Zumba. She is vivacious and the most toned, fit girl I've ever met. She has about 30 songs in her Zumba library, and she adds more every few weeks. The routines are challenging but the cardio workout is unprecedented compared to any fitness classes I've taken before.


Plus, let's be honest, the studio is in a warehouse. The salsa, merengue, and other Latin and international music pumping through the base and speakers that surround the floor-to-ceiling open garage door, all juxtaposed to the flawless dance studio wood floor makes the entire experience feel super bad ass. 
And nobody seems to know why, but on the ceiling of the warehouse studio, CORNELL is written in Cornell red block lettering. A part of CNY is here in Hawaii!







No comments:

Post a Comment