Sunday, August 5, 2012

Team Starmweber

As if my marriage really needed any reinforcement, today I was reminded why I picked Nick as my ultimate teammate.
It was a hard day.

No.

Today was a day that would have sparred any girl to burst into tears multiple times.

In summary: We woke up to our washer/dryer unit in an inch of water, with lint spattered on the walls like a bomb exploded out of the back of the dryer. A typical Sunday for my me and my hubby consists of an early morning venture into town for coffee at our favorite breakfast cafe. Well, today we broke our tradition and instead spent the morning sopping up linty water from the washer pan in our laundry closet. Through sweat and grunting, we (mostly Nick) managed to hoist the dryer off of the washer and into the hallway so we could proceed to clean up the quandary of laundry waste.

Oh it gets better.

After we contacted our property manager for advisement on the unit (which was after the clean up and after Nick tinkered with possibly exploring the problem himself), we decided to tackle the next issue that had come to fruition a few days earlier: my cell phone. The phone has broken twice in the last four months, which angers me blind. We spent the remainder of the rest of the day making two trips into Kapolei to visit the Verizon store, gathering mis-information from incompetent verizon retailers, and calling att to see if we should nix our contract all together. Needless to say, it was already 4:30 before Nick and I finished our second battle of the day.

We spent the remaining hours of daylight crunching numbers and budgeting to include my student loan payments (help me, I'm poor!), while trying to pad our savings account, and as the sun pulled the light from the sky, it sucked my emotional energy with it.

But never once was I alone as I toed the battle lines.

MOREOVER–- as I finished applying for automatic debit for my student loans, sent off a wedding gift and attempted to register our vehicles the state of Hawaii, Nicholas jumped in the kitchen and began preparing the most exquisite Sunday dinner that I have had in a while. As I finished on the computer, Nicholas placed a summer shrimp pasta in front of me. Fresh diced tomatoes, basil, fresh minced garlic and olive oil over spaghetti and accented with sauteed shrimp. Ciabatta garlic bread on the side with a colorful garden salad (and pepperoncinis on mine!), and all paired with a chill moscato. Yum!

I'm not sure I can articulate how wonderful it is to combat days like today with Nick. He is the perfect balance and sanity to the challenges we face as new 'grown-ups'. And to end the day with a delectable dinner and a walk with our Hobbes makes a challenging day like today among my top favorite Sundays of this whole first year of marriage.

A homage to Nick: my husband, my teammate and the one who can ground me in sanity while coloring my life with the magic of love :)


No comments:

Post a Comment