Monday, July 16, 2012

Run the World



Maybe 'run the world' is a little presumptuous, but yes! I decided to start running (small) races. I need something to train for. It's not enough to go to the gym or run aimlessly to consume a certain time. I've stalled at a plateau. I feel like I'm constantly striving for a fit lifestyle, but I have nothing to measure the progress.
I lift at the gym. I run, but not for milage and not for fun. I run to consume minutes. I run until I feel like I've wasted enough time, until I surrender to the surge of panic that could or maybe should be doing something else. 
Over the last few weeks, as I've built my endurance back, I've been pursuing this idea of running races. It started with my conscious moratorium wherein I asked myself how I drifted away from the love of running. Over the last few weeks, I still haven't be able to discover why I fell out of love with running, but I do remember our steamy, sweaty love affair. 
In high school and in college and all through grad school, I used running as my therapy. Stress and happiness and anger and sadness and procrastination and overwhelmed-ness instigated a hardy run. I craved the ache. I relished in the sore muscles. I sacrificed work to be at the gym. Feeling the burn made me feel alive. The endorphins blasted through my veins for a high that could inspire just about anything. I sincerely (and sadly) cannot articulate when I lost this motivation, but it's certainly slipped over the last two years. 
I've noticed. And I want it back.
So, to begin, I am signing up for races this fall. Re-igniting my drive needs a catalyst, and I ascertain that training for something will serve that purpose. 
I have the best workout buddy any girl could ask for, and she has agreed enthusiastically to be my race buddy. For now, we have fully committed ourselves to The Color Run on November 3rd. The concept of this run excites me. It just looks fun. When my runner girl gets back from New York, we will carefully choose our other autumn races. 
I'm motivated. I want to be a girl on the run again.






1 comment:

  1. I bet wearing lulu lemon when you get your run on would help :)

    ReplyDelete