Monday, March 12, 2012

Nostalgic Throwback

How far in the past must I dive in order to claim "nostalgic throwback"? Appropriately enough, social media spews images and youtube clips from my childhood. Gullah Gullah Island, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, The Berenstain Bears, Where the Wild Things Are and, of course, Little Bear.


Perhaps my tween years, full of pasty skin and bangs, bushy eye brows and diffidence produced something worthy of nostalgia. Summer nights hiding behind sheds and bushes, hide-and-seek to a teenager is called man hunt. Camp outs and sleep overs. Junior high dances and those first flutters of your heart. Discovering tight bell bottom jeans and boobs.


No, in fact, I'd rather not tumble into that abyss right now. Rather, I am inspired to compose this entry based on my dinner choices for the week.


Nick's transition into platoon leader is complete. He is officially the LT in charge. I know. I saw his office and watched him compile paperwork into binders (an organized man after my own heart <3). Now, he establishes himself. He learns about his soldiers. He preps for a mission to the Big Island in a couple of weeks wherein he and his platoon will build a couple of buildings. For those of you who know and love my Nick, you are already aware of his dedication, perseverance, hard work and perfectionism. It translates into everything he does, and (I could shout it to the world!) I love him for it! 


As such, late nights are starting to become the norm around the starmweber household. His arrival home by 7:00 p.m. might beg the question, "Do you feel ok?" or something similar, as seven would be early. I am already adjusting to this schedule change, and as a result, I have told Nick that I will no longer be making dinners for us. It's no fun cooking for one and neither of us truly love clammy left-overs. Besides, who wants to stuff their face with chicken and veggies and starches at 8 p.m.? Far too heavy for bedtime.But this new transition opens the door on nostalgia. Not for Richard Scarry or bushy eye brows. Rather, college. 


Ah yes, in college, I shopped for one, and I 'cooked' for one. I ate when I was hungry and didn't worry when I wasn't. With Nick working through the meals of the day, I've reshaped our grocery list. Enough substance for Nick to sustain energy throughout the day, and my old college eating habits. I made a list of my favorites. Enjoy this nostalgia flashback!


1. Cereal and toast: I remember sitting on the steps of a Vassar academic building with my friend Ashley talking about how much we love cereal. We talked about how we could perpetually refill our bowls until the milk was completely gone. Ash - I'm rediscovering cereal and toast! Though I feel extraordinarily guilty refilling my bowl repeatedly, the comforts of cereal for dinner are so fantastic. It reminds me of college and perhaps, indirectly, with my childhood as well.


2. Lean Cuisine Paninis: God I love these! They are one of my favorite meals! I used to make Lean Cuisine Paninis for lunch all through grad school! They remind me of my first plunge into student teaching. I would heat up a chicken ranch panini or a steak and cheese panini and some water and an orange and eat my lunch.... at 10 a.m.!
3. Canned Tuna or Chicken on Triscuits: My dear friend Lauren, who was my sanity and savior in grad school, turned me onto tuna on triscuits. Take a small can of tuna or chicken and a tsp of mayo. Mix it up with some salt and pepper in a tiny container. Then, spoon it onto your triscuit and enjoy! 


4. Hummus and Veggies: I could eat buckets of hummus and sliced veggies! I could eat it until it makes me sick!! I've discovered that in my (old) age that I've retracted from my love for hummus and pita. I prefer cucumbers, carrots and broccoli. Either way, the chick peas are full of protein and the veggies balance the meal. This also reminds me of Trident, one of my favorite Boston restaurants (miss you Min and Jake!)




5. Tomato Soup & Butter Sandwiches: I cannot deny that tomato soup and butter sandwiches are a direct line from my childhood. Mom - this is a serious question - where did you come up with butter sandwiches? Were we too poor for lunch meat? Regardless, I used to make this for dinner all the time in undergrad. Butter and bread are cheap and, when I used to shop at the commissary with Nick, hand held soups were wicked cheap. 


6. Grilled Cheese & Ketchup Sandwiches: Stop judging. It's delicious. If my Kage is reading, she knows exactly from where this awkward pallet derived. Freshmen year at Marist, IF I ventured to the cafeteria, I only ordered grilled cheese sandwiches -- to the point where the gentleman behind the counter knew my order and once, in passing in the hallway, called me grilled cheese girl. But I love it. I crave it. And, when I just googled "grilled cheese and ketchup sandwich" for my photo, one came up. So I'm obviously also not alone.  :)


7. PB&J&P:  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with goldfish and pepperoncinis. I don't even need to elaborate. 


8. Cucumber, Sweet Red Pepper & Ranch Sandwich: On whole wheat bread with a little cracked pepper. So. yummy!




Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. oh man, Mia, I still can taste that lunch we had that day from that cafe! sooo good! Last night before bed I had some cereal to calm my nerves on the night before an interview. So comforting! cereal and of course toast with PB!

    ReplyDelete